Stainless steel Fasteners are complex machine tools. When properly handled, they can develop and transfer tremendous force. In this article we will cover all the various elements that accompany the use of ss fasteners:
The thread is the most important part of a fastener- It is a ridge on the external and internal surface of a cylinder.
The basic thread profile is a boundary between the product and external and internal threads. If either goes beyond the boundary then a chance for interference exists and product threads may not assemble. It is from this basic thread profile that the actual limits of size are decided. There are a few things to know when choosing a particular fastener:
- Selection of materials
Fasteners are made of dozens of different materials such as ferrous, nonferrous ad nonmetallic (plastics), and necessarily so, because of the almost limitless combinations of conditions in which fasteners are expected to perform.
However, an engineer with a fundamental knowledge of the properties, capabilities, and limitations of various materials should find it easy to make the right choice of base material.
For example, if the fastener’s main function is to deliver strength, think of steel. If the atmosphere is corrosive, consider steel with a protective coating. For severely corrosive environments select stainless steel or one of the non-ferrous alloys.
- Practical strength limits:
When fastener strength is the single design consideration, there is no need to look beyond steel.
This material is by far the most economical and tough. Raw material costs are such that choices other than steel should only be considered when some special requirement decides it.
Stainless steel fasteners have a tensile strength of 60,000 psi.
- Materials for the corrosive environment:
Corrosion is the destruction of metal in its environment. It is wasteful and unsightly. It is difficult and costly to control and frequently is the cause of fastener failure.
When analyzing a fastener application one of the first questions the designer should ask is what is the service environment and whether is there a possibility the fastener will be subject to corrosive attack. Any ‘yes’ answer obligates the engineer to identify the character of the exposure, anticipate the possible consequences and determine the most effective countermeasures. Because of the extreme importance of corrosion, not only atmospheric exposures but galvanic actions, high-temperature oxidation, and dangerous stress corrosion should be considered.
Ss fasteners with some type of protective plating or coating perform well in most atmospheric environments.
- Materials for high temperatures::
Most properties of materials are temperature sensitive. The principal effect of increasing temperature on metallic fasteners is a decline in their strength, and properties when the temperature becomes high enough -about 500 degrees Fahrenheit and up other problems begin to occur. such as the breakdown of coatings, high-temperature oxidation, and or corrosion.
Tips to use fasteners:
- Determine the external force for the most highly loaded fastener: There are a lot of choices when it comes to ss steel manufacturers, but a company like LP screws comparatively makes ss steel fasteners with high tensile strength. They are one of the best ss steel manufacturers in India.
- Select a factor of safety based on the type of application and best engineering judgment.: You should be able to gauge the required amount of safety that must be maintained to handle tools and fasteners.
- Select a fastener material for a given environmental and economic constraint: Environmental conditions may influence your fasteners load bearing capability due to reasons like corrosion. ss steel fasteners perform the highest in hard conditions.
- Select fastener dimensions: You should be able to correctly calculate the dimensions required by your application and choose suitable fasteners
- Calculate the required tightening torque: The kind of material that you are using the fastener for also makes a huge difference ss fasteners perform in all types of materials- wood, cement, etc
These were the tips to handle ss fasteners. In the end, it’s all about the shear load and the type of application, and the type of fasteners.