Black fungus or mucormycosis is a very rare type of fungal infection. It influences 1 in 10,00,000 people and shows a mortality rate of nearly 50 percent. The disease more commonly affects those who are already suffering from some health problems or patients who take strong medicines that affect their immunity. People having any of the following diseases may be prone to black fungus:
- Organ transplant
- Stem cell transplant
- Skin injury
- Prematurity or low birth weight
It is, therefore, important to lookout steps to lower the risk of black fungus. In this article, you will find easy ways of protecting yourself and your family from mucormycosis.
Mostly, our little mistakes invite a number of infections. This can, however, be prevented by following certain general precautions at home and at the workplace. By using such tips, you can push back the infection caused by black fungus easily.
- Protect yourself from the environment.
- Avoid touching dirty objects.
- Avoid contact with water-damaged buildings.
- Try to avoid close contact with soil or dust.
- Wear gloves or hand covers while handling dirty objects.
- If you had an organ transplant or stem cell transplant, your doctor may prescribe certain antifungal medications for effective prevention.
- Wear regular N-95 masks in public places or work.
- Since the black fungus can affect people having skin injuries, make sure to clean the surfaces of injury from your skin using soap and water.
Masks have become a part of our lives. Thus, hygiene-related to masks is also a big concern. It is important to wear a protective and clean mask so that the shield that protects you doesn’t infect you the other way.
- Wash your masks regularly using antiseptic lotions.
- Sunrays kill fungus. Keep your mask under the sun when not in use.
- Avoid using cloth masks or wet masks.
- Do not touch your mask frequently.
- Do not drink water while putting your mask on your chin. This is because drops of water can hold dust particles on the mask.
- If you are suffering from a cough or cold, change your mask every six hours.