Flat caps, also known as newsboy caps, driver caps, and ivy caps, are a type of hat that has been worn by men for generations. Originally worn by working-class men in the UK and Ireland, they have now become a popular fashion accessory for men and women around the world. In this guide, we will discuss the history, styles, materials, and how to wear flat caps.
History of Flat Caps
The history of flat caps dates back to the 14th century when they were worn by the working class in Europe. In the 19th century, they became popular among working-class men in the UK and Ireland. The flat cap was worn by men of all ages, and it was a symbol of working-class culture. Over time, the flat cap has become a fashionable accessory, worn by men of all social classes.
Styles of Flat Caps
There are several styles of flat caps, including the newsboy cap, the ivy cap, and the driver cap.
- Newsboy Cap: The newsboy cap has a rounded crown and a small brim. It generally has eight panels and a button on top. This style was popularized in the 1920s and 1930s and was often worn by newspaper delivery boys, hence the name “newsboy cap”.
- Ivy Cap: The ivy cap, also known as the Irish cap, has a flatter crown and a shorter brim. It typically has six panels and a button on top. This style was popularized in the 1960s and was worn by Ivy League college students, hence the name “ivy cap”.
- Driver Cap: The driver cap, also known as the golf cap, has a more structured crown and a longer brim. It typically has four panels and a button on top. This style was popularized in the 1920s and was often worn by race car drivers and golfers.
Poe And Company Ltd offers a wide range of flat caps in different styles, materials, and colors. They have a fantastic selection of flat caps that are made with high-quality materials and have a classic look. Apply Poe And Company Ltd Coupon Code to unlock amazing deals and offers.
Flat caps are made from a variety of materials, including:
- Wool: Wool flat caps are perfect for cooler weather and are often made from tweed, a classic material for flat caps.
- Cotton: Cotton flat caps are suitable for warmer weather and are often made from a lightweight material, like canvas.
- Leather: Leather flat caps are perfect for a more casual look and are often made from a soft, supple leather.
How to Wear Flat Caps
Flat caps can be worn in a variety of ways, depending on your personal style and the occasion.
- Casual Look: For a casual look, pair your flat cap with a pair of jeans and a t-shirt.
- Formal Look: For a more formal look, pair your flat cap with a suit or blazer.
- Winter Look: In the winter, pair your flat cap with a scarf and a coat for a warm and stylish look.
- Summer Look: In the summer, pair your flat cap with shorts and a polo shirt for a cool and casual look.
Overall, flat caps are a versatile accessory that can add style and sophistication to any outfit. With so many styles and materials to choose from, there’s a flat cap for every occasion and personal style.
Choosing the Right Flat Caps
Choosing the right flat cap depends on several factors, including your personal style, the occasion, and the material of the cap. Here are some tips to help you choose the right flat cap:
- Consider the material: Flat caps come in a variety of materials, including wool, tweed, cotton, and leather. Choose a material that suits the season and occasion. For example, a wool or tweed cap is perfect for colder weather, while a cotton or linen cap is better suited for warmer weather.
- Choose a style: Flat caps come in different styles, including newsboy, ivy, and driver caps. Choose a style that fits your personal style and the occasion. For example, a newsboy cap is more casual, while an ivy cap is more formal.
- Consider the color and pattern: Flat caps come in a variety of colors and patterns. Choose a color and pattern that compliments your outfit and personal style. Neutral colors like black, gray, and brown are versatile and can be worn with many outfits.
- Consider the fit: Flat caps should fit comfortably on your head. Make sure to measure your head before purchasing a cap to ensure the right fit. If possible, try on different sizes and styles to find the perfect fit.
- Quality: Look for a flat cap made with high-quality materials and craftsmanship. A well-made cap will last longer and look better over time.
Flat caps are a timeless accessory that can add a touch of style and sophistication to any outfit. With their versatile style and materials, they can be worn in any season and with different outfits. When choosing a flat cap, consider the occasion, style, material, color, and quality to get the right fit and look.